I based this recipe on the gluten version found here. As it does not require too much flour, pretty much any gluten free flour blend will do (make sure it has xanthan gum or guar gum in it, if not, add 1/4 tsp of either). I've used both the Bob's Red Mill 1:1 and Cup 4 Cup mixes.
This recipe makes a single large pancake which serves 2-3. (although all of us wanted more, just like at Walker Brothers).
- 2 medium sized apples (I used 1 Fuji and 1 Granny Smith), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup cream, half and half or milk of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour mix (if no xanthan or guar gum in mix, add 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
For Cinnamon sugar glaze:
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Over medium heat, in a cast iron or Le Creuset oven proof plan, melt butter.
- Add apples and sauté until softened. (about 10-15 minutes)
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine flour mix, sugar and salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together, add cream
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix but do not over mix.
- Remove apples from heat.
- Pour batter over apples
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter over low heat
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and mix until melted.
- Add salt, cinnamon and mix.
- Remove from heat
- Take pancake out of the oven.
- Pour Cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Return to oven for another 3 minutes
- Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes, serve and enjoy