Gluten Free Lasagna-stuffed Chicken Meatloaf



 I love making lasagna but did not have enough ricotta for a full batch so I started thinking if there were other ways I could use the same ingredients (but less ricotta) to make a similar dish. I decided that  instead of making a chicken bolognese for the base, I'd make a chicken meatloaf. Then I did some googling and sure enough there were already some other people who had a similar idea. This recipe is based on this one: https://twistedfood.co.uk/lasagna-stuffed-meatloaf/ only I used chicken instead of beef and modified the ricotta filling to be my standard lasagna filling. It's less work than my lasagna recipe as well. I hope you enjoy it.





Ingredients for meatloaf:

1 lb chicken breast, ground (I grind mine fresh with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer meat grinder attachment)

2 eggs, beaten

2/3 cup seasoned gluten free panko bread crumbs (I used Jeff Nation Creations)

1 tbsp dried parsley

2 shakes garlic powder

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp pepper (we love pepper- use less if you're less of a fan)

Ingredients for ricotta filling:

1 egg, beaten

12 oz ricotta (15 oz is fine too but I only had 12 oz)

8 oz fresh spinach, cooked, squeezed of water and diced (about 1/2 cup packed)

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 shake garlic powder

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Ingredients for assembly:

Gluten free lasagna sheets (I used about 5 Barilla sheets)

1 jar Classico Red Pepper pasta sauce (or your favorite sauce)


Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, lightly grease a metal loaf pan (glass is ok too but it may need more time to bake)- the original recipe does not include greasing the pan but I found the chicken stuck to the pan as chicken breast is far less fatty than beef. 

2. Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a bowl. I found the easiest way to combine was to use my (clean) hands. Set aside.

3. Whisk egg with ricotta and seasonings, mix in spinach. Set aside.

4. Using about 3/4 of the mixture, press the chicken meatloaf into all sides of the loaf pan

5. Place 1 layer of uncooked lasagna noodle in the pan (I found I needed about 1 1/4 sheets per layer)

6. Cover with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture plus a layer of thin mozzarella slices. 

7. Repeat steps 5 & 6, top with 1 layer of lasagna noodle. You should now have 4 layers of noodle and 3 layers of ricotta. 

8. Press remaining meatloaf on top, seal edges with meatloaf on the sides.

9. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. 

10. Remove from oven, use a spatula to loosen the sides, then invert onto a jelly roll pan covered with parchment or a silicone baking sheet.

11. Pour sauce over the top (so it spills over the sides) and top with the mozzarella slices (I also put some on edges).

12. Return to oven until cheese starts to brown and sauce is bubbly - 15-25 minutes

13. Remove from oven, allow to cool about 15 minutes before slicing and enjoying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flying Gluten Free

Product Review: Mom's Place Gluten Free Soft Pretzel Mix and more...

Product Review : deSIAM Peanut & Coconut Thai Sauce